The Autumn Equinox is about the poignant seasonal turning toward winter and inward time. It also a time for personal assessment and getting our homes in the right condition so that we are able to thrive and start fresh.
Sharon Schweitzer's article gives some wonderful tips and advice on organizing for the fall.
10 Tips for Organizing Your Home for Fall Equinox
1. Safety Check: Schedule your fall and winter heating maintenance and service. Be sure smoke detectors have fully charged batteries and carbon monoxide (CO2) detectors are in place and working.
2. Chimney Sweep: Hire a chimney sweep service to clean the soot out of your chimney. Even with gas and electric fires, clearing the chimney of bird nests and soot is essential to the safety of your home.
3. Camera & photos: Upload spring and summer vacation photos to the cloud. Be prepared with clear or new memory cards to shoot festive holiday pictures. Design and order holiday cards now.
4. Start early: Review your holiday checklists now. Ease the stress and enjoy.
5. Unpack & donate: Donate excess holiday décor and festive decorations. Do thisearly so another family can benefit and enjoy your beautiful décor. You will also save valuable storage space.
6. Create space: Organize your bedroom and hall closets for the busy social season. Clear space for guests’ coats by clearing and donating unneeded items. Add an artistic storage piece at the front door for gloves, scarves and umbrellas.
7. Don’t wait until the first freeze to discover coats are too small: Check coat, glove and mitten sizes now to be sure you and your family have the right size when they are needed. Donate clothing they have outgrown.
8. Fall cleaning. Family and holiday guests will be arriving, and you want your home to sparkle! Organize hall & guest room closets, and garage. Clean the carpets and windows. Deep clean the kitchen, refrigerator, and freezer in preparation for holiday cooking.
9. Extra warmth: Before the cold settles in, we have warm nights and chilly nights. Be prepared by placing a throw or comforter at the end of all of your beds for extra warmth. Place soft slippers bedside.
10. Gift list: Prepare a gift wish-list and ask your loved ones to share their thoughts on gift ideas. Start shopping online and at stores if you haven’t already.
Sharon Schweitzer, J.D., is a cross-cultural consultant, an international protocol expert and the founder of Protocol & Etiquette Worldwide.